Using Netlogo to connect to SQL database

Using Netlogo to connect to SQL database

oliver.ichiang
Hello all,

I was wondering if its possible to establish a connection to a SQL
database with netlogo? I understand that this would require the use of
java extension files. Unfortunately i do not have much experience in
Java and was wondering if theres an easy way to go about doing this. If
not, can someone point me to the right direction? Thank you very much.
Any help appreciated.

Oliver

newbie question: graphing

Howard Noble
dear netlogo-ers,

apologies if this is very obvious a question, but is it possible to add
points to the axis of graphs?

i want to simply put a ten year time period and mark each year on the
x-axis (not just mark 0 and 10).

thanks, howard

Re: newbie question: graphing

James Steiner-2
There are a couple ways to fake it.

One way is to use a seperate pen and plotxy to draw in the tick marks.

Another way is to use a NOTE control with spaced bar characters in it,
e.g. |...|...|...|...|...|  postiion it over the graph, then size the
graph
to match the spacing of the tick marks. Likewise you can add
additional space or periods or other marks to expand the new axis
ticks.

This is not a perfectly robust workaround. For example, the character
sizes may not be the same when run on a different machine or a
different browser.

You can use this technique to overlay any labels you need on the plot.

~~James

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Howard Noble
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> dear netlogo-ers,
>
> apologies if this is very obvious a question, but is it possible to add
> points to the axis of graphs?
>
> i want to simply put a ten year time period and mark each year on the
> x-axis (not just mark 0 and 10).
>
> thanks, howard

Re: Using Netlogo to connect to SQL database

Jay Campbell-2

> I was wondering if its possible to establish a connection to a SQL
> database with netlogo? I understand that this would require the use of
> java extension files. Unfortunately i do not have much experience in
> Java and was wondering if theres an easy way to go about doing this.
> If not, can someone point me to the right direction? Thank you
> very much. Any help appreciated.

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. You don't *have* to
use an extension to talk to SQL:

stuffing some pet NetLogo projects.

Some of the features I hope to share are:

Work-arounds for Java's caching of remote files that changed.

SQL access via PHP scripts.

Two-way communication between NetLogo and PHP and whatever you want to
tie into the backside.

I wanted to gauge interest in this before spending the time
documenting my methods in case these wheels are already invented.