Speed Control

rboone2020
Folks,

 Let me revisit an old question of mine regarding NetLogo.  I slow a model with the main speed control to watch its detailed behavior, but then must reset the control to use "Setup" so that resetting patches doesn't take forever.  In design and practice it is "Setup" -> adjust slider -> "Go" -> adjust slider -> "Setup" -> adjust slider -> "Go" etc.  Slightly tedious trying to reset the slider to a consistent value that shows behavior well..

 Is there a means to have a portion of code run a normal speed "Setup", ignoring whatever setting the speed control may have?  Or handle this pro grammatically with "wait" in the "Go" procedure or the like?

 Thanks,
 Randy

Re: Speed Control

Jim Lyons
On Dec 23, 2017, at 9:41 AM, [hidden email] [netlogo-users] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Let me revisit an old question of mine regarding NetLogo.  I slow a model with the main speed control to watch its detailed behavior, but then must reset the control to use "Setup" so that resetting patches doesn't take forever.  In design and practice it is "Setup" -> adjust slider -> "Go" -> adjust slider -> "Setup" -> adjust slider -> "Go" etc.  Slightly tedious trying to reset the slider to a consistent value that shows behavior well..
>
> Is there a means to have a portion of code run a normal speed "Setup", ignoring whatever setting the speed control may have?  Or handle this pro grammatically with "wait" in the "Go" procedure or the like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

Do you have “View updates on ticks” set in the interface? It should be set, so that updates to the view only occur on a display or tick command.

If there are no display or tick commands in your setup procedure, it should run at full speed.

(Haven’t had chance to check this, hope I’m remembering right.) HTH,
Jim

Re: Speed Control

Steve Railsback
If you are happy just seeing the display "on ticks", you can turn down the frame rate setting in the World Settings---look up "frame rate" in the user manual.

Or you could put "wait" statements here and there in your go procedure, and perhaps create a slider that controls how long the wait is.