NetLogo 6.0.2 released

NetLogo-Users mailing list
The Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling at Northwestern University is pleased to announce NetLogo 6.0.2, available for free download from our site at https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/download.shtml <https://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/download.shtml>.

The NetLogo user community continues to experience much growth. We've had hundreds of thousands of downloads in the past year from our website. Maintaining the large code-base, adding features to support our users, and expanding the models library requires considerable resources. Please consider making a donation at our site http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/giving.shtml <http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/giving.shtml>. All donation sizes help.

NetLogo 6.0.2 is primarily a release offering enhancements and bugfixes for NetLogo 6.0.1.

Most models created in NetLogo 5 or later will work in NetLogo 6 after automatic conversion upon first opening the model. Models created in NetLogo 4 or earlier should be opened in NetLogo 5 first and saved before opening in NetLogo 6. If you have any trouble, please consult: http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/6.0/docs/transition.html <http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/6.0/docs/transition.html>.

Feature Changes

The autosuggest functionality introduced in NetLogo 6 will now display extension primitive names.
A new insert-item primitive was added to the language. It works similarly to replace-item, but without removing the item at the specified index.
A new set-plot-background-color primitive was added to the language. It can be used in plotting code to set the background color of the plot.
Behaviorsearch's user interface has been updated. It now uses the JavaFX UI toolkit for a more modern look and feel.
Bugfixes

The 6.0.1 autoconverter would error when converting tasks with exactly one argument (from 5.3.1 and earlier models only). The conversion would be correct, but it was confusing. This has now been remedied and the autoconverter will correctly convert models from 5.3.1 and earlier without erroring on single-argument tasks.
Fixed a bug where extensions weren't located properly when in a path relative to the model.
Help browser now opens in 64-bit windows.
Fixed a speed regression for the import-world primitive introduced in 6.0.
If an unexpected reporter block is passed to with when used with other, the error will now reflect that the block is unsuitable for with instead of other.
When sort-by receives an unsuitable reporter block from the user it now shows a useful error instead of a cryptic stack trace.
String representations of anonymous procedures now show the arguments of those anonymous procedures
When working in an nls file, switching to a different tab will compile the nls file.
Display error label on nls file when the code it contains causes an error.
Some users were unable to open NetLogo 6 and 6.0.1 in Mac OS Sierra. We've changed our signing process in 6.0.2 to attempt to fix this problem. We are continuing to track this issue to determine whether our fix was effective. More information (including a partial workaround for the problem) is available here <https://github.com/NetLogo/NetLogo/wiki/Known-Issues#netlogo-wont-start-on-mac-os-sierra>.
Extension Changes

Fixed a bug in gis:patch-dataset introduced in NetLogo 6.
The table extension has new table:group-agents and table:group-items primitives which can be used to build a table of grouped agents and items by supplying an anonymous reporter.
Documentation Changes

Clarify when various parts of the anonymous procedure syntax are optional.
Fix a few small documentation bugs around foreach.
Clarify relationship between speed and update modality in the "View Updates" section of the programming guide.
Model Changes

New Sample Models:

Chaos in a Box
Fairy Circles
SmoothLife
New Curricular Models:

Lattice Land Curriculum
Lattice Land - Triangles Explore
Lattice Land - Triangles Dissection
Revised Sample Models:

Anisogamy: New color scheme. Adds BehaviorSpace experiments.
Ethnocentrism: Now cross-listed as an Evolutionary model.
Fireworks: Rename fireworks to max-fireworks and enforce a minimum of 1.
GenJam - Duple: Minor info tab updates.
Wolf Sheep Predation: Revised to better clarify the grass? construct and code.
Revised Curricular Models:

Connected Chemistry:
Connected Chemistry 1: Fix NetLogo Web incompatibility.
Connected Chemistry 3: Update minimum number of particles to 2.
Connected Chemistry 8: Minor code updates. Small change to default values.
Revised HubNet Activities:

Gridlock HubNet: Minor code updates.
Revised Code Examples:

Info Tab Example: Corrected formatting of un/ordered lists example.
LS Extension – Model Visualizer and Plotter Example: Updated code dependencies for WSP.
LS Extension – Model Interactions Example: Updated code dependencies for WSP.
Shapes Library:

Added two new shapes "Moose" and "Moose Face"

Known Issues

We encourage our users to report any bugs they find with NetLogo 6 to our bugs mailing list <mailto:[hidden email]>, and other feedback to our feedback mailing list <mailto:[hidden email]>. We encourage users who encounter a bug to consult this wiki page <https://github.com/NetLogo/NetLogo/wiki/Known-Issues> which lists major problems as users encounter them and offers advice on how to alleviate or work around them.

This list contains several defects known to us at the time of the release of 6.0.2:

The vid extension produces videos that don't play properly in Windows (the same video plays correctly on a Mac, however). It appears to play videos created by other sources properly.
The arduino extension doesn't work properly in Windows 10 under 64-bit NetLogo. It does work properly running under 32-bit NetLogo. We recommend windows users who want to work with the arduino extension install the 32-bit version of NetLogo.
There are problems editing the HubNet interface after importing a HubNet client interface from the interface tab of another model.
Credits

NetLogo was designed and authored by Uri Wilensky, project leader and director of the CCL. The core development team includes Jason Bertsche, Robert Grider, Bryan Head, Seth Tisue and Nicolas Payette. Many others have contributed greatly. HubNet was jointly designed by Uri Wilensky and Walter Stroup.

The CCL gratefully acknowledges two decades of support for our NetLogo work. The original support came from the National Science Foundation -- grant numbers REC-9814682 and REC-0126227. Further support has come from REC-0003285, REC-0115699, DRL-0196044, CCF-ITR-0326542, DRL-REC/ROLE-0440113, SBE-0624318, EEC-0648316, IIS-0713619, DRL-RED-9552950, DRL-REC-9632612, and DRL-DRK12-1020101, IIS-1441552, CNS-1441016, CNS-1441041, CNS-1138461, IIS-1438813, IIS-1147621, DRL-REC-1343873, IIS-1438813, IIS-1441552, CNS-1441041, IIS-1546120, DRL-1546122, DRL-1614745 and DRL-1640201. Additional support came from the Spencer Foundation, Texas Instruments, the Brady Fund, the Murphy fund, and the Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems.

Enjoy,

—Uri

Uri Wilensky
Professor of Learning Sciences, Computer Science and Complex Systems
Director, Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling

Re: NetLogo 6.0.2 released

NetLogo-Users mailing list
Thanks for the great work, Uri!

 BTW: I am writing an article based on a NetLogo model. How do I credit you as the author of the language?