Can NetLogo handle millions of agents?

udw2jy23krvcsyih2v3yvysh52dmve53st5tcfez
Hi,

 for a project we need to decide between, you guessed it, NetLogo and RepastS.

 The 2 contentious issues are: 1) the number of agents NetLogo can handle and 2) agents with different  granularity and temporal scale.

 We will have a network of institutions with a flow of people between them. Institutions are treated as black boxes with people entering and exiting them. This part is easy and we don't see a problem using NetLogo for this. A second stage of this project will have people interacting in these institutions at a different time scale than the time scale of the macro level (between institution flow).

 Can NetLogo handle 1) potentially millions of agents and 2) different time scales and agent granularity?

 Thanks,
 Rainer

Re: Can NetLogo handle millions of agents?

Steve Railsback
Hello Rainer,

I strongly suggest you see our recent paper on use of NetLogo for large models. It (and some updates, thanks to the NetLogo team) are at:
http://www.railsback-grimm-abm-book.com/JASSS-models.html http://www.railsback-grimm-abm-book.com/JASSS-models.html

In particular, look at the time extension as a way to do discrete-event simulation in NetLogo, which is especially valuable for models in which different agents do different things at different time scales.

Steve Railsback